We accept applications on a continuing basis. We will review applications at least monthly and keep those that meet the requirements listed below (see "What we look for"). When a position opens we will call the top applicants whose applications are from the last 6 months. If you would like to be considered for any future openings you will need to re-apply every six months.
What we look for
We look for a combination of two qualities before considering any other qualifications:
We look for individuals who are personable, genuinely friendly, and outgoing. We are looking for enthusiastic team players who really enjoy working with all personality types. The ability to maintain a helpful and positive attitude during all customer situations is essential.
look for individuals who possess a large and broad knowledge of film.
You do not need to be a walking encyclopedia -- enthusiasm, passion, and
a desire to learn is sometimes more desirable. That said, you
should know, for example, who Ingmar Bergman is and who Akira Kurosawa is.
You should be able to name a few Woody Allen films. You don't need
to have seen everything, but you need to be able to carry on a
Basic job description
Above all, this is a customer service job. You will be required to maintain a positive and helpful attitude during all customer interactions, as well as with co-workers. You will be explaining and promoting in-store specials. You will be required to become familiar with the store’s inventory as well as the films that customers are asking about. Not only will you be required to help customers find the films they are looking for, but you will provide recommendations based on the customers’ taste in film.
In addition to customer service you will process transactions, maintain organization, file, clean, and stock inventory. You will be using a computerized check-out and point-of-sale system and you will perform file saving and report printing. You will contribute to our email update, social media, and in-store displays. You will be required to call customers who are late with returns.
In addition to your scheduled clerk hours you will be given at least one extra responsibility that will be allocated at least 1, and up to 6 hrs/wk. You will be responsible for scheduling these hours and completing your responsibilities on time. Some examples of additional responsibilities: in-store displays/poster changing; helping with promotional events; overseeing late list/collections; bookkeeping data-entry and spreadsheets; maintaining social media; head of cleaning (which includes Towards Zero Waste liaison).
- You should possess exceptional customer service skills.
- You should be somebody who watches a lot of films. You should have a desire to watch all types of films and a knack for remembering actors, directors, and other interesting information about the films you see.
- You should have accurate typing and filing skills. We do not ask that you be able to touch type, simply that you are accurate.
- You need to be a self-starter.
- You should be good at multi-tasking. You need to be able to provide excellent customer service and manage to complete daily tasks accurately and efficiently.
- You must be very detail oriented.
- You must be able to stand for long periods of time as well as do a lot of walking, light lifting, bending, squatting, and reaching.
- You must be computer and internet literate.
To download an application, click here.